General Backpacking Tips, Q&A, How-Tos and Articles
Lightweight and Ultralight Backpacking
- Lightweight Backpacking – How to Cut Through the Clutter and Go Lite Fast!
- Lighten Up your Backpack: Weighing your Gear
- Lighten Up Your Backpack: The Big Three
- Lighten Up your Backpack with Multi-function Gear
- Lighten Up your Backpack: Eliminating Non-Essentials
- Lighten Up Your Backpack: Gear Compactness
- How to Choose and Ultralight Tent or Shelter: Part 1
- How to Choose and Ultralight Tent or Shelter: Part 2
Backpacks and Packing
- How to Fit a Backpack
- How to Keeping your Backpacking Gear Dry in the Rain
- How to Load a Backpack
- Day Hikers 10 Essentials Guide (also good for Backpackers)
- What Backpacking Gear Should You Bring for Cold, Wet Weather?
- Why does Cotton Kill?
- Stuff Sack Guide
- What should I pack on a 3 day backpacking trip?
- What is an External Frame Backpack?
- What is an Ultralight Backpack?
- Backpack Rain Covers: Pros and Cons
- What is a Floating Lid?
- Adding Pockets to Backpacks
- Freezer Bag Cooking 101
- Why don’t I have an Appetite on Backpacking Trips?
- How to Pack a Food Bag
- How Much Food Should You Pack for a 3 Day Backpacking Trip?
- How Much Water Should You Carry When You Go Hiking or Backpacking?
- What are Good Backpacking Breakfasts?
- Long Distance Backpacking Meals
- A Sample 3 Day Backpacking Menu
- Boil-in-the-bag Backpacking Food
- Adding Variety to your Backpacking Menu
- Backpacking without a Stove
- How to Hang a Bear Bag
- Protecting your Food from Bears
- Leave No Trace Principles
- Camping Routine
- Campsite Selection
- Survival Tactics for Staying Warm
- Backpacking with Earplugs
- How to Break in a New Pair of Hiking Boots
- How to Waterproof New Hiking Boots
- Blister Prevention: Liner Socks
- Advantages of Trail Runners
- Plantar Fasciitis: A Hiker’s Guide to Heel Pain
Backpacking Gear Maintenance
- Backpacking Gear Maintenance Checklist
- Restoring the DWR on a Gore-tex Jacket
- How to Wash Gore-tex Clothing
- How to Wash an eVent Jacket
- How to Wash a Down Sleeping Bag
Hiking Health and Safety
- Chemical Free Insect-Bite Prevention
- Ticks, Lyme, and Permethrin
- Chafing and How to Prevent it
- Hiking in Hot Weather
- Road Walking: Tips and Tricks
- Knee Pain – A Hiker’s Guide
- Trekking Poles: Poles and Cons
- How to Ford a River or Stream
- Zinc Oxide: A First Aid Kit Essential
- Blister Prevention and Treatment for Hikers
Navigation and Planning
- How to Plan a Day Hike
- How to Prepare for a Big Summertime Backpacking Trip
- Compass Use: Pros and Cons
- Predicting the Weather using Clouds
- What is Guidebook Book Time?
- Why Bushwhack?
Sleeping Bags and Pads
- Sleeping Bag Down Fill Power Ratings
- Sleeping Pad R Values
- Camping Pillows
- The Art of Sleeping Warm at Night
Backpacking Stoves and Cookware
- Backpacking without a Stove
- How to Insulate White Gas Fuel Bottles in Winter
- Iso-Butane Canister Disposal and Recycling
- Wood Stoves: Pros and Cons
Tents and Shelters
- How to Prevent Tent Condensation
- What is a Tent Footprint?
- What is a Tent Vestibule?
- What is a Tent Bathtub Floor?
- What is a Tarp Tent?
- Tent Stakes: What Kind and How Many?
- How to Pitch a Tent on a Wooden Platform
- A Beginner’s Guide to Bivy Sacks
- The Benefits Of Hammock Camping
- Sleeping under a Tarp instead of a Tent
- What are the Differences between Flat Tarps and Shaped Tarps?
Water Filters and Hydration
- Preventing Mold in Hydration Systems
- Fixing a Leaky Hydration Reservoir
- Backcountry Water Sources
- Chlorine Dioxide Tablets for Water Purification: Pros and Cons
- Sterilizing Hydration Bladders with Efferdent
Winter Backpacking and Mountaineering
- A Beginner’s Guide to Snowshoeing
- How to Size Snowshoes
- How to Attach Snowshoes to a Backpack
- Winter Hiking Safety Tips
- When Should You Call off a Winter Hike
- Layering: How to Dress Like an Onion
- How to Select a Winter Tent Site
- Pitching a Winter Tent on Snow
- How to Prevent Tent Condensation in Winter
- Winter Hiking and Hydration
- How to Keep your Water Bottles from Freezing in Winter
- What is the Difference between a Hard Shell and a Soft Shell Jacket
- What Gear do you need to Ice Climb?
- Winter Hiking Skills: How to Use Crampons
- Winter Traction and When to Wear It
- Multi-Purpose Items as Snow Anchors
- How to Build Snow Shelters
- How to Build a Quinzhee Snow Shelter
- How to use an Ice Axe
- What is an Avalanche Beacon?
- Is Solo Winter Hiking Safe?
- Preventing Frozen Boots in Winter
- How to Pack your Winter Gear
- Winter Backpacking on a Budget
- Winter Backpacking Food
- Insulated Camping Mugs
- Balaclavas, Neck Gaiters and Face Masks
- How to Prevent your Goggles from Fogging Up in Winter
- Preventing Dehydration in Winter