This gear raffle is the first of 4 raffles that I’ll be holding on Fridays this month and will run concurrently with the Hiking Author summer reading guest post series that I’m hosting on Section Hiker this August.
This weeks raffle’s prize is a Hyperlight Mountain Gear Expedition Pack, a standard HMG Design based on the custom pack that HMG originally made for HMG Ambassador Ryan Jordan of Backpackinglight.com. This backpack has a retail value of $310 US.
Designed for week-long adventures and winter hiking/mountaineering, the Expedition has 4,400 cubic inches of enclosed storage capacity. Weighing 29 ounces/824 grams, it is made out of Hyperlight Mountain Gear’s proprietary ultralight, abrasion-resistant cuben fiber fabric and includes:
- Taped waterproof seams to provide a high degree of water resistance in rain
- Internal aluminum stays that slot into the hip belt, increase pack stiffness, and improve load transfer to the hips
- Three tiers of compression straps
- Long external daisy chains
- Rolltop top closure, including a Y-style strap to lash gear to the top of your pack.
- Sternum strap
- Double reinforced bottom
- Internal mesh sleeve
- Excellent for mixed sport adventures including backpacking, packrafting, climbing, and mountaineering.
The Expedition pack is an excellent alternative to HMG’s Porter Backpack if you need an extra 1000 cubic inches of storage capacity.
The size of the pack offered in this raffle is a MEDIUM (17″-19″ torso). Is has been used very lightly and is in MINT condition except for some red color transfer from my shirt to the back of the pack, which does not show when the pack is worn.
Leave a comment below with an opinion about both of the issues or points raised by Dennis Blachard and Ron Strickland in their guest posts this week. No copying other peoples’ entries, please. Feel free to write as much as you want.
Question 1: What do you think is the most dangerous thing, person, or animal on the Appalachian Trail?
Question 2: Do you think it’s better to ban people from wilderness areas or provide access to them to broaden the constituency for backcountry conservation?
Make sure to answer both questions for your entry to count.
Deadline to Enter
The deadline to enter this raffle is Sunday, August 5th, at midnight, PST. Don’t delay! Enter now.
Double and Triple Your Chances to Win
You can double your chances to win doing one or both of the following:
- Tweeting the following message on Twitter: “ Gear Raffle: Hyperlight Mountain Gear Cuben Fiber Backpack @philipwerner http://bit.ly/Q3UeFR Ends midnight 8-5-12 ” – (don’t include the quotes)
- Liking the SectionHiker Page on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Section-Hiker/177911084603
Raffle Rules (the fine print)
- This raffle is open to international entrants with a postal address that can be reached by USPS. Sectionhiker.com will pay for shipping expenses, but not for international duties or local taxes.
- A winner will be picked randomly from entrants and announced before the end of August.
- Raffle prizes may take up to 6 weeks to arrive (often less.)
- Raffle winner much respond to an email within 1 week after notification or a new winner will be randomly selected.
- Entries must follow raffle rules or they will be disqualified.
- Entries submitted before August 1 will be disqualified.
- Raffle prizes come with no product warrantee and are provided as is. Some prizes may show minor wear or blemishes incurred through product testesting and review by SectionHiker.com.