Gossamer Gear, a top lightweight backpacking gear manufacturer, is looking to recruit Trail Ambassadors. If you’re passionate about ultralight or lightweight backpacking and like to teach people about how they can lighten their packs in order to hike more comfortably, you should apply to the Gossamer Gear Trail Ambassador program.
Click here to submit an application: http://gossamergear.com/wp/gossamer-gear-trail-ambassador-application-form
Trail Ambassadors are Community Builders
The purpose of the Gossamer Gear Trail Ambassador Program is to sponsor people who want to grow the lightweight and ultralight backpacking community and are already doing it themselves by mentoring and teaching other hikers. It’s not about recruiting star athletes as fashion models, but to give a little help to the people who are already out there leading hikes, maintaining trails, and teaching hiking and backpacking skills.
Many Ambassadors are volunteers with outdoor hiking clubs and meetups, serve as scout leaders, leave no trace trainers, and trail maintainers, or just hike a lot. They’re also passionate about hiking in all of its many forms from day hiking, peakbagging, and bushwhacking, to overnight and weekend backpacking trips, pack-rafting, and long distance thru-hikes. Sure, Gossamer Gear gains cred from sponsoring their Ambassadors,but the goal of the program is to help new or traditional hikers take the first steps to lightening the weight of their gear, regardless of the make of gear they buy.
While Gossamer Gear gives Trail Ambassadors a discount on gear, the real benefit to Ambassadors is the increased exposure they get from being affiliated with the program. For example, Gossamer Gear provides extra publicity and demo gear to Trail Ambassadors who want to teach lightweight backpacking classes, and even helps source gear from other manufacturers like Tarptent, Six Moon Designs, Mountain Laurel Designs for events. The attitude is that everyone benefits in the lightweight backpacking community when the community grows.
Another benefit of being an Ambassador is getting to know the other Trail Ambassadors in the program. Having been a Trail Ambassador since 2010, I can honestly say that my life, not just my hiking career, has been enriched by getting to know the other Gossamer Gear Trail Ambassadors. The feeling is mutual too – this is a group that interacts as a supportive family – helping each other out on a wide range of activities from couch surfing and new business ventures, to being invited to teach lightweight backpacking around the country.
Trail Ambassador Benefits
All Gossamer Gear Trail Ambassadors receive a free Gossamer Gear backpack of their choice when they are admitted to the Trail Ambassador Program and an on-going 25% pro-deal discount on all products manufactured by Gossamer Gear for their own personal use. They also receive:
- A 10% off discount code that they can share with friends, family, or acquaintances who are interested in purchasing backpacks, poles, and accessories from Gossamer Gear.
- Free publicity and assistance for Trail Ambassador sponsored gear demos, talks and courses on ultralight and lightweight backpacking, conservation-related charity events, and publications.
- Invitations to regional Trail Ambassador meetups, hikes, and backpacking trips held across North America and Europe.
- A Monthly Trail Ambassador newsletter with behind-the-scenes news, product updates, and announcements.
- Early access to new products and design prototypes.
- A Personalized Trail Ambassador Bio Page on the Gossamer Gear Web Site.
What do You have to Do?
Chances are you don’t have to do a lot more than you are doing now if you’re an active hiker and like to pass your knowledge to other people.
- If you are teaching a course about ultralight or lightweight backpacking or want to have a gear demo in your local community, Gossamer Gear will help sponsor it, publicize it, and provide free demo gear that you can let attendees try.
- If you want, you can help Gossamer Gear design new hiking and backpacking products and test prototypes, but that’s entirely optional.
- Gossamer Gear Trail Ambassadors also provide product reviews, how-to articles, photographs and trip reports for Gossamer Gear’s web site, weekly newsletter, and social media channels.
If you’re interested in becoming a Gossamer Gear Trail Ambassador, I really encourage you to apply to the program. What you make of it is really up to you, but it’s a great opportunity if you like to hike (a lot) and meet other hikers from around the world.
For more details, click here to apply to the Gossamer Gear Trail Ambassador Program