The name of this site, Section Hiker, refers to the Appalachian Trail which I’ve been hiking section by section since 2007. To date, I’ve completed 1400 miles of the trail and hope to complete all of the sections between Georgia and Maine someday. I’ve also hiked:
- The 272 mile Long Trail in Vermont, a National Scenic Trail.
- Climbed all 48 of the 4000 footers in New Hampshire’s White Mountains (including a round during calendar winter).
- Finished climbing the Trailwrights 72, an even longer and harder list of White Mountain 4000 footers.
- Hiked over 1300 miles of the 1440 mile White Mountain National Forest trail system.
- Completed two coast-to-coast backpacking trips across the Scottish highlands, in the 2010 and 2013 TGO Challenges.
While I love backpacking, I am also a compulsive day hiker, peak bagger, and bushwhacker. I’m up for any kind of hiking and think it’s a great way to get outside, give yourself a break from your worldly troubles, and get some natural exercise.
Stewardship and Volunteer Activities
I’m a 4 season hiking and backpacking leader for the Boston Chapter of the Appalachian Mountain Club, teach off-trail navigation, and lead 10-12 backpacking, day hiking, winter mountaineering and bushwhacking trips per year In addition, I’m a hiking leader for the AMC’s Cold River Camp in Evans Notch and a Long Trail Mentor for the Green Mountain Club in Vermont.
Outdoor Certifications and Training
I am a Leave No Trace Master Educator qualified to train individuals to become Leave No Trace Trainers. In addition, I am a former guide for Andrew Skurka Adventures and have WFA, CPR/AED, and Level 1 AIARE Certifications.
More Biographical Information
- Why I left high-tech to become a full time writer and backpacker
- Hyperlite Mountain Gear recently published a good bio of me that you might also find interesting.
If you’d like contact me about reviewing a product, speaking opportunities, or just to ask a question, please use this contact form and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible. You can also follow me on Twitter or Facebook.
Most Popular Searches
- philip werner
- colombia OUTDRY extreme eco REVIEW