Klymit’s Static V Luxe Sleeping Pad is an interesting twist on a luxury inflatable sleeping pad, combining a decadent 30″ width, with a pad that is easy to inflate, and rolls up into a small bundle barely the size of many ultralight weight backpacking pads. It’s also incredibly inexpensive, only costing $89, which should terrify luxury sleeping pad manufacturers who charge customers several hundred dollars for a comparable product.
Weighing 26.5 ounces, the Static V Luxe is best considered a base camping or car camping sleeping pad for summer use because it has a R-value of 1.3, which is quite low and provides very little thermal insulation between you and the ground. While perfectly adequate for summertime use, you’ll want to upgrade to the insulated but narrower, Insulated Static V sleeping pad for shoulder season weather when the ground is colder (See Sleeping Pad R-Values).
Klymit’s sleeping pad products are distinguished by their use of body mapping technology, which mimics human anatomy to provide a sleeping surface that offers you more comfort and a better night’s sleep, whether you sleep on your back, your side, or your stomach. All of the sleeping pads in their Static V product line (the Static V2, the Insulated Static V, and the new Static V Luxe) mimic the muscular structure of your back, offering enhanced comfort by matching the contours of the human body.
While the Static V Luxe is similar in appearance to the Static V2 and the Insulated Static V, it is a full 30 inches wide, inflated, (30″ w x 76″ x 2″), which is just huge, especially when compared to other 25″ wide luxury sleeping pads. In comparison, the Static V2 and the Insulated Static V are just 23 inches wide, so significantly narrower. Those added 7 inches of width make all the difference though, ensuring that your arms remain on the sleeping pad at night and don’t fall to the ground on your sides because your pad is too narrow.
The pad depth is somewhat lacking however, measuring only 2 inches deep along the side rails, instead of the 3 inches claimed by the manufacturer. This becomes very noticeable if you kneel or try to read a book on the pad, and your knee and elbow bones slide between the pad’s chambers and come in contact with the ground.
Despite this, the Klymit Static V Luxe is a bargain if you prefer an extra-wide inflatable sleeping pad and prefer a firm air mattress to sleep on for summertime car camping and base camping trips.
- 30 inches wide
- Firm to sleep on
- Two valves help accelerate deflation time
- Surface fabric is quiet and not slippery
- Stores compactly when deflated (7″ x 5″ x 4.5″)
- Takes 35 SectionHiker breaths to inflate, not 15-20 claimed by the manufacturer. This warrants the addition of an external pump sack or integrated pump chamber.
- Knees and elbows slide between the chambers and come into direct contact with the ground
- The 3o inch width is not sufficient for two people to share the pad, as claimed by the manufacturer. Twin beds are 39 inches wide. While they were barely wide enough for two when I was in college, they aren’t anymore. :-)
- Weight/Mass: 26.35 oz / 747 g
- Dimensions: 76″ x 30″ x 3″ (2″ on the SectionHiker ruler)/ 193 cm x 76.2 cm x 7.6 cm
- Type: inflatable Sleeping Pad
- R-Value: 1.3
- Inflation: 15-20 Breaths (35 SectionHiker Breaths)
- Packed Size: 4.5″ x 8″ / 11.4 cm x 20.3 cm
- Includes: Stuff Sack, Patch Kit
- Fabric: 75D Polyester
Disclosure: Klymit loaned Philip Werner (SectionHiker.com) a Static V Luxe sleeping pad for this review.
SectionHiker.com receives affiliate compensation from retailers that we link to if you make a purchase through them, at no additional cost to you. This helps to keep our content free and pays for our website hosting costs. Thank you for your support.
Most Popular Searches
- klymit insulated luxe hammock
- Klymit Insulated Static V Luxe SL Sleeping Pad review
- klymit luxe pad