Philip Werner is a full-time outdoor author and backpacker who resides in New England. His website SectionHiker.com is ranked as the #1 Hiking and Backpacking Blog on the internet by AdventureJunkies.com in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022.
The name of this site, Section Hiker, refers to The Long Trail which I section hiked in 2008. To date, I’ve also completed 1400 miles of the Appalachian Tail and hope to complete all of the sections between Georgia and Maine someday. I’ve also hiked thru-hiked the TGO Challenge (Coast-to-Coast across Scotland) twice and I’m currently section hiking the Cape Wrath Trail, also in Scotland.
But my heart belongs to New Hampshire’s White Mountains where I live and do most of my hiking and backpacking. I’m the 36th person to finish hiking all 1440 miles of the White Mountain National Forest trail system and the 3rd person to do it twice. I’ve also climbed all 48 of the 4000 footers in the White Mountains many times over (500 summits and counting), including one round during calendar winter (working on 2 more). While I love hiking trails and backpacking, I am also a compulsive off-trail hiker and enjoy spending the day Tenkara fly fishing on mountain streams you can only walk to.
Stewardship and Volunteer Activities
I’m a hiking leader for the Appalachian Mountain Club and like mentoring new leaders. I’m also a Long Trail Mentor for the Green Mountain Club in Vermont.
Outdoor Certifications and Training
I am a Leave No Trace Master Educator qualified to train individuals to become Leave No Trace Trainers. In addition, I am a former guide for Andrew Skurka Adventures and have WFA, CPR/AED, and Level 1 AIARE Certifications.
More Biographical Information
- Why I left high-tech to become a full time writer and backpacker
- Hyperlite Mountain Gear published a good bio of me that you might also find interesting.
If you’d like to ask Philip a backpacking, hiking, camping, or business-related related question, please submit it using this form.
Note: Philip gets so many requests for help planning AT section hikes and hikes in the White Mountains, that he can’t respond to them all.
- If you need help planning a hike on the Appalachian Trail, most answers (parking, shuttles, campsites, etc) can be found in The Appalachian Trail Guide (2022).
- If you need help planning a hike in the White Mountains, most answers (parking, shuttles, campsites, trails, etc) can be found in the The White Mountain Guide.
If you are writing to me about one of the following topics, I’m likely to delete your email so don’t bother sending me a message.
- I don’t publicize online fundraising campaigns.
- I don’t sell backlinks or publish sponsored articles written by other people.
- No, I’m not interested in selling SectionHiker.com.
For serious questions about gear, skills, or media and business inquiries, fill in this form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.