I’m a pretty careful hiker, but I’ve had my share of injuries and boo boos in the backcountry.
- I burn myself at least one a year by touching cook pots and stoves before they’ve cooled
- I scratch my face and legs on bushwhacks, sometimes quite deeply, even when I’m wearing protective clothing
- I fall on scree and scrape my hands and knees
- I turn an ankle about once a year, enough to sideline me for a few weeks
- I get a deep blister once in a while that takes about two weeks to heal
Minor stuff, but I also know quite a few very experieneced hikers who break bones, have bad falls, get minor cold injuries, experience fever, dehydration, and hypothermia, and suffer from various stomach maladies on the trail. I expect these things are more prevalent that we might realize.
What injuries, boo boos, and ailments have you experienced while hiking?
Leave a comment
Most Popular Searches
- cuts and bruises after hike
- fell while backpacking head injury