It can be difficult to pick good backpacking gifts if you’re not an expert backpacker or hiker. That’s why we’ve pulled together this list of great backpacking gifts under $50 to help you get your backpacking friends gear that they’ll appreciate, without breaking the bank. If you want to spend more, we suggest giving them a gift card so they can pick out the gear they want.
Recommended Gift Cards
- REI Gift Card: Backpacking gear, clothing, and outdoor education courses
- Amazon Gift Card: Food, clothing, books and everything under the sun!
- Zpacks Gift Card: Dyneema ultralight backpacks and shelters
- Hyperlite Mountain Gear Gift Card: Dyneema ultralight backpacks and shelters
- Feathered Friends Gift Card: Premium down sleeping bags and jackets
Backpacking Gifts for $50 or less
- Trail Designs Caldera Cone: Super-efficient Ultralight stove system compatible with alcohol, wood, and solid fuels
- Sven Saw. Ultralight folding saw that’s really handy for cutting firewood and trail maintenance. Classic design.
- Soto Amicus Stove and Cook Set: Very powerful canister stove with a two-piece anodized cook set that will hold a fuel canister.
- Petzl e+Lite Headlamp. Ultralight headlamp. One of the best-designed products ever!
- MSR Pocket Rocket 2 Canister Stove. Durable and lightweight folding canister stove. Lasts forever.
- Ultralight Compression Sack: Made with Dyneema this is a superlight stuff sack for shrinking your load.
- Ultralight Pack Cover: Made with Dyneema, waterproof, and very lightweight.
- Hyperlite Mountain Gear Dyneema Waterproof Backpack Shoulder Pocket. Holds a smartphone, w/ wallet compartment.
- Toaks Titanium Alcohol Stove: Ultralight alcohol siphon-style backpacking stove. Super easy to use.
- Gaia GPS Premium Subscription. One year license to the leading Smartphone navigation app. Priceless.
- REI Backpack Duffle Bag: Duffle bag to protect your backpack from theft or damage when traveling.
- Mountain Hardwear Dome Perignon Hat. Super warm, windproof, Polartec Hat. A classic!
- Mystery Ranch Wet Rib: Accessory front pocket for a backpack with a cult following.
- Mountain Laurel Designs Event Rain Mitts. Makes hiking in the rain enjoyable again.
- Ripstop By the Roll Rain Skirt: Do it Yourself Kit for making a Dyneema Rain Skirt.
- Snow Peak Titanium Trek 700 Mug. Ultralight cook pot which doubles as a bowl and mug.
Backpacking Gifts for $25 or less
- Opinel No. 8 beechwood Handle Knife: Beautiful, lightweight Swedish pocket knife.
- Swiss Army Knife Classic: Smallest Swiss Army Knife with scissors. Thin and lightweight.
- Knog Quokka Rechargeable Headlamp: Very cool LED headlamp with dimmable spot, wide, combo, and red modes.
- NEMO Airpin Tent Stakes: Revolutionary ultralight tent stakes that eliminate the need to tie knots.
- Outdoor Research ActiveIce Spectrum Sun Gloves: Cooling Gloves for sun protection in alpine or desert areas.
- Sea to Summit Ultralight Aeros Pillow Case. A soft pillow that you fill with clothing to fluff it up. Luxurious.
- GSI Stainless Stemless Wine Glass: Spill-proof break-proof wine glass that is perfect in camp
- Snowpeak Kettle 0.89L: Unique stainless kettle with folding handles that’s perfect for boiling water in camp
- Toaks Titanium Windscreen. Super lightweight and compatible with all alcohol or ESBIT stoves.
- Luci Lantern. Solar-powered inflatable lantern. Super lightweight. Good for emergencies too.
- REI Lifetime Membership. 10% rebate on all purchases for the rest of your life!
- CNOC Vecto 3L Squeezable Water Bottle. Compatible with all Sawyer filters. A backpacker favorite.
- Possum Down Gloves. Super warm, lightweight wool gloves from New Zealand. A cult favorite.
- Possum Down Socks: Super warm sleeping socks from New Zealand. Wool and possum fur.
- Simple Shower. Ultralight shower kit that connects to soda bottles.
- Vargo Titanium Whistle. Ultralight way to signal for help.
- BRS UL Titanium Canister Stove. Compact folding stove. Just 25 grams.
- Darn Tough Hiker Boot Cushion Hiking Socks. Backpackers favorite. Super durable and comfortable
- Nite-Ize BugLit LED Micro flashlight. Perfect for backpacking and camping. Looks like a bug!
- MSR Windburner Coffee Press Kit. Got a Windburner? You can have coffee too.
Backpacking Gifts for $10 or less
- Swiss Army Knife Replacement Tweezers. Replace the missing tweezers in your Swiss Army Knife.
- Swiss Army Knife Replacement Toothpicks. Replace the missing toothpick in your Swiss Army Knife.
- Bear bells: Surprisingly effective bear deterrent for people or dogs.
- Injinji Socks. Socks with distinct toes that stop hiking blisters in their tracks
- Dr. Bronner’s Soap. A revelation if you’ve never tried it. The 2 oz size for is perfect for backpacking.
- Voile Ski Straps. Flexible straps that have a million and one uses for backpacking and skiing.
- Lightload Towels. Mini wash towels that can withstand multiple uses. Great stocking stuffer.
- An Assortment of Mini Nalgene Bottles. Perfect for repackaging lotions for backpacking.
- Nalgene Flask. Unbreakable. Great for sipping whiskey or cordials on the trail.
- Leukotape P Sports tape. Great blister prevention tape that is popular with long-distance thru-hikers.
- Jetboil Coffee Press. Turns a Jetboil stove into a French press.
- Yellowbird Hot Sauce: This tiny 2 oz bottle makes camping meals come alive.
- Dyneema (Cuben Fiber) Tent Stake Sack: Super durable and ultralight. Lasts forever.
- CuloClean Portable Bidet: Sounds weirds, but it screws onto a soda bottle. Keeping clean is important on the trail.
Check out all of SectionHiker's Gift Guides
- Hiking Survival Gear Gift Guide
- 50 Best Backpacking Gifts Under $50
- Lightweight Backpacking Gift Guide
- Dyneema Ultralight Backpacking Gift Guide
- Winter Hiking and Backpacking Gift Guide
Most Popular Searches
- best hiking tools under 40 dollars
- fifts for backpacking
- hiking basket ideas