When people refer to a backpack brain, they’re talking about a top lid that fits over the top of the main compartment. Most top lids have at least one zippered pocket in them although some backpacks have two, one on top and another on the underside of the lid. People typically keep their maps and navigation tools (compass, gps) in the top lid, which is another reason it’s called the brain.
More Frequently Asked Questions
- Backpacking Clothing – What Should You Pack For the Trail?
- Do You Need Rain Pants for Hiking and Backpacking?
- What are the Strengths and Weaknesses of Trekking Pole Tents?
- Do You Need a Backpack Rain Cover?
- Why Do I Get Wet Inside my Rain Jacket?