Mountain House Food Corporation announced the formation of a new subsidiary called Dog House Foods to brand and market a new line of freeze-dried camping meals for dogs, called “Doggy Bags.” These nutritious meals for dogs are designed to make your dog feel at home when camping or backpacking while providing the extra calories, amino acids, and vitamins that dogs need for an active life outdoors or on the trail. They’re easy to prepare and packaged like our award-winning meals for people, with a 25-year shelf life that makes them equally suitable for emergency preparedness.
“Urban dogs, in particular, can become quite agitated when they’re taken on family camping or backpacking trips and they find themselves sleeping outdoors in a strange environment. Our meals are designed as comfort food, to give them a taste of home, and help calm and reassure them so they don’t act out by chasing wild animals or barking at strangers,” said new Dog House Food CEO Larry ‘Lab’ Black.
The Doggy Bag meals are available individually, in three-packs, and 12-pack buckets, like the one shown above. Different size portions are also available for small, medium, and large dogs. Special packaging has been designed that can serve double-duty as a dog bowl, which is one less thing to worry about when you’re traveling or camping with your dog. Preparation is just as convenient as with our human camping meals, where you add boiling water and then wait 9-12 minutes for your meal to fully rehydrate, or cold soak it over a period of 4-6 hours.
“Dog House will be releasing new flavors and formulations throughout the year targeting the needs of dogs of all ages and health dispositions”, said Dr. Jack Russell, Dog House’s Chief Food Scientist, who’s also a well-respected dog breeder. “These will include meals designed for growing puppies, senior dogs, and those who need extra nutritional support for canine diabetes, urinary tract health, heart care, and dental/breath health.”
“We’re really impressed with the strategic timeliness of Dog House Foods new Doggy Bag product line,” said Philip Werner, Editor and Chief Hiking Officer at SectionHiker.com. “Puppy and rescue adoption rates skyrocketed during the Pandemic and these new Doggy Bag meals provide a great way for owners to provide their dogs with healthy food options when they go hiking, backpacking, or camping in our National Forests and Parks.”
The first six meals will be available in April 2021 exclusively at Petco, including:
- “Who Wants to Go to Petco?” Venison Stew
- “Who Wants a Treat?” Grain-Free Meatloaf
- “Do You Want to Go Outside?” Beef & Pork Grain-Free Pate
- “Who’s a Good Boy?” Ancient Fish Patties
- “Let Me Rub Your Belly” Hawaiian Salmon and Sweet Potato Casserole
- “You’re So Cute” Turkey, Pork Liver & Duck Mash
Prices will range from $9 – $12 for single meals with quantity discounts available. For more information, visit your local Petco Store or shop online at the Petco.com website.
For more silliness:
- Darn Tough Announces “ReFluff” Sock Revitalization Service
- Mountain House Spins Off New Dog House Foods Subsidiary and Canine Product Line
- Outdoor Industry Association Announces New Backpack Volume Standard
- RBG Takes Leave of Absence from the Supreme Court to Hike the Appalachian Trail
- Appalachian Mountain Club to Build Underground Parking Garage in Crawford Notch
- Ski Tuckerman Ravine with the new Tuckerman Taxi
- Maine Appalachian Trail Club Replaces Kennebec Ferry with New Zipline River Crossing Service
- Appalachian Trail Conservancy and Google Express Launch Air-Drop Airborne Drone Resupply Service on Appalachian Trail
- Jetboil Announces Breakthrough BioBoil Camping Stove and Power Recharging Products
- Klymit Revolutionizes Lightweight Backpacking with Gas-Filled Universal Load Lifters
- Gossamer Gear Announces iGorilla Backpack with iPad Pocket and Kinetic Energy Recharger