Ultralight backpack maker Gossamer Gear announced a new backpack today that includes a rechargeable iPad Pocket™ for ultralight backpacking. Built using Kinetic Recharger Technology™, the iGorilla™ backpack automatically recharges your iPad or any other USB compatible electronic device by converting the energy produced by hiking into electric current that can be used to recharge batteries.
“The iGorilla is the first backpack in the world to use an Apple iPad as a backpack frame, keeping with Gossamer Gear’s ultralight philosophy of using multi-purpose items as backpack components,” says Glen Van Peski, Gossamer Gear’s visionary founder and ultralight backpacking guru. “Adding Kinetic Recharger Technology (KRT) to the pack took a significant amount of product testing and design effort in order to optimize the amount of energy which can be converted to electricity from a person’s stride, and to keep the pack’s weight the same as our standard, award-wining ultralight Gorilla Backpack.”
The iGorilla is another break-through product from Gossamer Gear and demonstrative of the track-record of innovation that the company is known for”, says Gossamer Gear Trail Ambassador Will Reitveld. “I’m looking forward to the day when I can have toast for breakfast on trips using an USB-enabled ultralight toaster.”
In addition to the iGorilla, Gossamer Gear has also pledged to license Kinetic Recharger Technology (KRT) to other cottage industry manufacturers in the ultralight backpacking segment for a nominal fee. Gossamer Gear’s President Grant Sible, whose AT thru-hike trail name was ‘Gorilla’ says, “we decided to license the KRT to other companies, including competitors, to help expand the lightweight backpacking market as rapidly as possible. When the water rises, everyones’ boat floats a bit higher.”
Availability: The iGorilla Backpack will be available in May 2012.
Subscribe to the Gossamer Gear Newsletter to be notified when the new iGorilla ultralight backpack is available for sale.
About the iGorilla
The iGorilla is a durable smaller volume pack loaded with new fabrics and features. We love the way this pack carries and its slimmer profile makes for a very controlled load that doesn’t move around on your back but still allows 5 days worth of food and gear to be carried comfortably. The main pack fabric is made out of our new revolutionary 140 denier Dyneema bullet proof fabric and we’re using bomber power-stretch mesh for the pockets, making the iGorilla one tough little beast.
Thei Gorilla comes with a SitLight™ pad, 10′ of shock cord and three cord locks. The shoulder straps (size medium and large only, size small the foam is sewn in and the straps are narrower) and hip belt are designed to accept unused articles of clothing as padding and the hip belt is removable. Foam inserts are included if you are disinclined to use sleeping socks, gloves, etc. as your padding. The Gorilla will also happily accept our Hip Belt and Shoulder Strap pockets.
For more silliness:
- Darn Tough Announces “ReFluff” Sock Revitalization Service
- Mountain House Spins Off New Dog House Foods Subsidiary and Canine Product Line
- Outdoor Industry Association Announces New Backpack Volume Standard
- RBG Takes Leave of Absence from the Supreme Court to Hike the Appalachian Trail
- Appalachian Mountain Club to Build Underground Parking Garage in Crawford Notch
- Ski Tuckerman Ravine with the new Tuckerman Taxi
- Maine Appalachian Trail Club Replaces Kennebec Ferry with New Zipline River Crossing Service
- Appalachian Trail Conservancy and Google Express Launch Air-Drop Airborne Drone Resupply Service on Appalachian Trail
- Jetboil Announces Breakthrough BioBoil Camping Stove and Power Recharging Products
- Klymit Revolutionizes Lightweight Backpacking with Gas-Filled Universal Load Lifters
- Gossamer Gear Announces iGorilla Backpack with iPad Pocket and Kinetic Energy Recharger